The social media monitor company Beevolve has studied 36 million Twitter user profiles around the world to produce some interesting Twitter trends and statistics.
- 25% of Twitter users have never tweeted
- On average a Twitter user follows 102 people
- 10% of users follow no-one
- An average Twitter user has 208 followers
- 6% of Twitter accounts have no followers
- Overall gender split – 53% female; 47% male
- Female Twitter users outnumber males up to age 25. But after age 35, female users start dwindling relative to males.
The research points to the correlation between the number of tweets sent and the number of followers.
Top ten countries by % of Twitter users
- US 51%
- UK 17%
- Australia 4%
- Brazil 3%
- Canada 3%
- India 3%
- France 2%
- Indonesia 1%
- Iran 1%
- Ireland 1%